It’s the last day of summer, meteorologically speaking, so what better time to listen to some summery music? Well, always assuming my little old iPod chooses to play some summery music in this week’s Friday Music Shuffle.
I’m in my Man Cave yet again, the working week well over and we’re ready to go.
So, here it is. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. Let’s rock.
1. Melanie by Toto. Little known Toto tune, sung by Steve Lukather and featuring Eagle Timothy B Schmit on backing vocals. I’m very biased but it’s gorgeous.
2. Girl Gone Wild by Madonna. From her brilliant MDNA album of 2012, here’s Madge banging out some electronica.
3. I’m In Love by Bachman Turner Overdrive. Country tinged album filler by the boys from Canada.
4. That’s Close Enough For Now by Field Music. From their 2016 album Commontime, the Mackems on top form here. One of the best live bands I’ve seen recently.
5. Night Flight by Duke Harwood. Cracking cover of the Zeppelin tune from Physical Graffiti by the talented London boy.
6. We Crawl by the Polyphonic Spree. Some epic choral rock from their lovely album The Fragile Army.
7. La Cienega Just Smiled by Ryan Adams. The boy has made so much great music and this one, from Gold, is right up there with his greatest.
8. Soolaimon by Neil Diamond. Yes, Neil Diamond. Once upon a time, Diamond made an album called Taproot Manuscript. Side One was standard, albeit brilliant, Diamond but Side Two was an African Trilogy. It was a brave step for Diamond but it worked. Essential listening.
9. Far East by Deep Forest. An astonishing musical project, featuring modern electronica with added voices and noises from the jungle. Short but sweet.
10. Time Passes On (live) by Orleans. From their ‘1975 Live from Harvard Square, some lush harmonies here.
That’s all, folks!