Now where was I? Oh yes, Skiathos. But that was last Friday and this is this Friday. So, now it’s time for another golden opportunity for my geriatric and now obsolete iPod to play ten tunes at random, here in my non air conditioned man cave.
Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends (no matter how much you might wish it did).
1. Fireworks by Animal Collective. Apparently, this band are an ‘experimental pop’ outfit, whatever that means. This, from their Strawberry Jam album, is a bit Kraftwerk meets the Beach Boys.
2. Since My Baby Left Me by John Lennon. Sung by my favourite pure rock and roll singer of all time, Lennon’s Rock n Roll album is a magnificent collection of covers of classics from the 1950s and 1960s. This is a ‘bonus track’, not included on the original.
3. Long Train Running by the Doobie Brothers. Well, it’s classic, isn’t it, from their finest album 1973’s The Captain and Me.
4. Something Stupid by Frank and Nancy Sinatra. The only version that matters.
5. Running out of Fantasy by the Manic Street Preachers. From their desperately underrated Rewind the Film long player, this is lush.
6. Molina by Creedence Clearwater Revival. Great latter-day Creedence.
7. Ooh Ooh Baby by Britney Spears. Yes, seriously. From her excellent Circus record.
8. You Can’t Make Love by Don Henley. Solo Don from his Building the Perfect Beast LP. One of the great rock voices.
9. Rollin’ and Tumblin’ by Bob Dylan. His Royal Bobness growls thru a belter from the Modern Times album.
10. Sails by Orleans. Lush harmonies from the Dance With Me boys.
That’s all, folks!