Greetings, pop pickers, and welcome to the Friday Music Shuffle. My music device selects ten songs at random from my ever-growing collection and I tell you what it has chosen. What happens next is incredible.
Click on the song title and, would you believe, you can literally hear the song and, if you feel so inclined, sing along.
I hope you find something you like.
- Days Gone By by Joe Walsh. Gorgeous track from Walsh’s brilliant 1973 LP The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get. And it’s written and sung by my dear friend Joe Vitale. If you like rock music, you need this album.
- Until The Quiet Comes by Flying Lotus. Title track of the brilliant Flying Lotus’s 2012 album. Man’s a genius.
- Long As I Can See The Light by John Fogerty and My Morning Jacket. In 2013, Creedence genius Fogerty made an album of collaborations called Wrote A Song For Everyone featuring some of his greatest songs, of which this is one.
- Junk (Esher Demo) by The Beatles. A White Album reject, this song never saw the light until Anthology 3. Thank God it did.
- Battleship Chains by The Georgia Satellites. Classic Southern Rock from 1986. They actually did a few other decent tunes, but nothing as good as this.
- I Don’t Mind by Badfinger. This band should have been massive. This was on 1970’s great No Dice album, which also featured a song called Without You, which went on to be a massive hit for Harry Nilsson.
- Chequeless Reckless by Fontaines D.C. The Dublin rockers with a joint from the superb Dogrel album.
- He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother by Neil Diamond. In 1970, Diamond made his finest album Taproot Manuscript, not long before he went all Vegas cabaret. Side Two is his astonishing African Trilogy and on Side One, there’s this incredible cover. Fun fact: Taproot Manuscript was the first album I ever bought with my own money.
- Feel Good by Robin Thicke. 2013 and Thicke releases his single and album Blurred Lines. Full disclosure: I love the single and I love the album and this is one of the best joints.
- Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins) by Father John Misty. The good father AKA Josh Tillman with a lush track from 2015’s I Love You, Honeybear.
A close call today for my Desert Island Disc. And today’s winner is the number one tune Days Gone By by Joe Walsh.
Hope you enjoyed that. I did.
Have a good week ’til next week.