Yes, it’s that time of the week where I set my musical device to play ten tunes at random, after which I tell you what they were. It’s a simple, though pointless, activity but hey – it keeps me off the streets.
So, let’s rock!
- Endgame by Ride. From their excellent 2019 long player This Is Not A Safe Place. High class rock music.
- Express Yourself by N.W.A. Simply magnificent from the essential Straight Outta Compton album. When I am King, everyone will be required to buy this record.
- The First Sight by Teenage fan Club. From their 2016 album Here, I can’t believe how late I was to the party with this excellent Scottish popular beat combo outfit.
- Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) by Marvin Gaye. An absolute banger from Marvin’s all-time classic What’s Going On. As the climate crisis proves, Marvin was way ahead of his time.
- Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough by Michael Jackson. From 1979’s Off The Wall and of course it’s brilliant.
- Wonderful/Don’t Worry Bill by the Beach Boys. The Smile classic Wonderful, sung live here by the late, great Carl Wilson is merged with the seriously rocky Don’t Worry Bill, a song initially recorded by the South African band Flame, two of whose members, Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Faatar, joined the band in the 1970s. An absolute joy.
- Ultraviolence by New Order. From their best album, Power, Corruption & Lies. Fantastic.
- Bruja by Los Amigos Invisibles. My loyal reader cannot have failed to notice my obsession with this incredible band from Venezuela. This lush tune from their album called Venezuelan Zinga Son Vol 1.
- Nice, Nice, Very Nice by Ambrosia (live). Some lush prog rock here, produced by none other than Alan Parsons.
- Ticket To Ride by the Beatles. Truly great John Lennon song, featuring some staggeringly wonderful drumming by the ridiculously underrated Ringo Starr.
That’s all, folks (unfortunately). I thought this week’s was rather good.