Summer’s here and the time is right for…another music shuffle. You know the score by now. I set my mobile device’s music collection to shuffle and it shuffles out ten tunes at random and I tell you what they are.
I am deep in the bowels of my Man Cave today and it’s time to let the good times roll. Let’s rock.
- Shark in the Dark by the Dwight Twilley Band. Some great rock and roll from one of my favourite ever bands and one no one has ever heard of.
- Brides of Jesus by Little Feat. Country, blues, rock and Christ knows how many genres compete for space on a Little Feat record. This is just lovely.
- Someday Soon by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Latter day CSNY from their underrated album Looking Forward and my choice of tune at my mum’s funeral back in 1999.
- Armed and Dangerous by Airbourne. Owing a particular debt to AC/DC, here’s a tinnitus inducing rocker from their long player No Guts, No Glory.
- Live It Up by Crosby, Stills and Nash. CSN without Young on this jolly pop outing from the Live It Up record.
- Did you Miss Me? by Lindsey Buckingham. The idea of Fleetwood Mac touring without Buckingham is about as sensible as Ringo Starr touring under the Beatles name. This tune from his brilliant Gift of Screws is far better than anything than the current line-up could come up with.
- Mystified by Fleetwood Mac. From the excellent Tango in the Night long player, this is co-written by Christine McVie and, of course, Lindsey Buckingham.
- Blackstar by David Bowie. Two days after Blackstar was released, Bowie died. An incredible record, a true star.
- Mr Big Stuff by Jean Knight. Some classic Stax from..gulp…1971.
- That’s What Love Does by Vincent Montana Jr and the Philly Sound Orchestra. Gorgeous soul music from the ‘King of Disco’.
That’s all, folks!