It’s Friday, I have got some time on my hands so I’ll head for the man cave, wire the iPod up to the Sony sound system and announce to the world, let’s rock.
What’s the recipe today?
1. Warlocks by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Pretty well every Chili’s song is the same as the one that came before, sometimes at a slightly different speed, but that doesn’t make them crap. From Stadium Arcadium, what a load of Warlocks.
2. The Strain by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band. If I quote to you part of the lyrics from this blues/rock epic by the Bonzos, you will quickly work out what this song is all about. “Barbed-wire bum baby, be like me.
We’re gonna do the strain on the lavatory.” Oh yes.
3. Is it on? by Gaz Coombes. More than slightly bonkers tune from the magnificent Matador record.
4. Jazzman by Carole King. From the wonderful Wrap Around Joy comes this little beauty co-written by David Palmer who used to be in Steely Dan until about 40 years ago.
5. Night Nurse (Kruder and Dorfmesiter Mix) by Gregory Isaacs. Cracking dub style mix.
6. And then…by David Gilmour. Unmistakably Gilmour on this instrumental from Rattle That Lock.
7. Corazon Espinado by Santana feat. Mana. Modern day Santana this time including Mexican popular beat combo outfit Mana. Carlos uses half the Layla riff to start with but soars into typical action, accompanied by heavy percussion in a tune that also resembles his hit tune Smooth. Lovely.
8. Out of Space by the Prodigy. well, you know what you get with these lads, until it turns into reggae.
9. Girl with the scar by Fun Lovin’ Criminals. Huey, the people’s champ, with a beauty from Livin’ in the City.
10. I’ll be your mirror by the Velvet Underground. Nico sings Lou Reed’s lovely little song so well.