Some random music for a Friday afternoon, live from my favourite place, the Man Cave, blaring out from the fancy dan Hi Fi system linked to my iPod.
Like any of these?
1. Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke (ft TI and Pharrell). Controversial? Of course. Great tune. Oh yes.
2. Tonight by the Raspberries. Eric Carmen’s legendary over-the-top band “borrowed” loads of styles. Here he pretends to be Steve Marriott. And it’s wonderful.
3. We are the ones by Shaggy. Always a Lovely Day when Shaggy’s in town.
4. You Ain’t Seen Nothing yet by Bachman Turner Overdrive.There was much more to BTO than this old classic, not least the excellent Not Fragile record from which it came.
5. Running Away by the Polyphonic Spree. The vast army of the Fragile Army (the album from which this beauty comes) owe a little bit to Blondie’s Dreaming from time to time. Nothing like the Spree in music though.
6. Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys. A 1960s rehearsal version of this all time great, from the Hawthorne CA record.
7. Sister Golden Hair by America. From their Hearts long player, produced by THE George Martin, who also played keyboards on the album.
8. There’s Gonna Be Some Rockin’ by AC/DC. The great Bon Scott sings after gargling with some razor blades in this old 12 bar from Dirty Deeds Done Cheap. Much as I liked Brian Johnson, Scott was THE lead singer of AC/DC for mine.
9. Ko Ko Blue by ZZ Top. Classic Top from about 100 years ago. Reminds me what an amazing album Rio Grande Mud still us. “Ice cream, you know what I mean.” They don’t write ’em like that anymore.
10. She’s Not There by the Zombies. Need I say more?
That’s all folks!