Despite the destructive effects of COVID-19, 2020 was a very good year for music. 2021, with lots of new releases as well as releases held over from 2020, has been even better. And it is with that in mind that I have come up with a shortlist of the best AKA my favourite albums of the year.
In the coming weeks, I’ll whittle down my nominations to a top ten albums list, but in the meantime, here, in no particular order, are the runners and riders for the best album of 2021.
- Collapsed in Sunbeams by Arlo Parks.
- Gold-Digger by Leon Bridges
- Late Night Tales by Jordan Rakei
- Flat White Moon by Field Music
- Going Going Gone by Mild High Club
- Local Valley by Jose Gonzalez
- My Morning Jacket by My Morning Jacket
- Daddy’s Home by St Vincent
- The Nearer The Fountain More Pure The Stream Flows by Damon Albarn
- Dalya by Ouzo Bazooka
- Prioritise Pleasure by Self Esteem
- Endless Arcade by Teenage Fanclub
- Back To The Future by Sons of Kemet
- Loving In Stereo by Jungle
- For Free by David Crosby
- Animal by Lump
- How Long Do You Think It’s Gonna Last by Big Red Machine
- What We Call Life by Jordan Rakei
- Lindsey Buckingham by Lindsey Buckingham
- Things Take Time, Take Time by Courtney Barnett
- High Season by Poolside
- Sketchy by tUnE-yArDs
I’m really looking forward to listening to these albums over and over again before making the decision the nation is waiting for (is this right? – ed).
Trust me, there’s plenty of great new music out there, enough to convince you, I hope, that we are in a golden era. And when the Big Day arrives, I’ll link some tunes from the top ten albums.
Now, try to contain your excitement for a few short weeks…